Gatekeepers of Patient Safety
Medical Services Professionals (MSPs) are the gatekeepers of patient safety within the healthcare industry.
Evolving over the past 41 years from a profession that encompassed primarily clerical positions, the medical services profession now spans a wide range of employment settings and requires a specific knowledge base and professional core competencies.
Through the State of the Medical Services Profession Report
, the National Association Medical Staff Services (NAMSS) seeks to raise awareness, educate, and obtain recognition within the healthcare industry for MSPs as a true and valuable profession.
Download the report today
and let NAMSS help you identify your career path, advance your career, and voice the value of MSPs in the healthcare industry.
What is Covered in the Report
The State of the Medical Service Profession Report is a tool designed to equip you with the resources you need to become the voice of our field. In it, you will find:
- Background on the Profession — providing insight to how the profession has evolved over the past 40 years.
- Landscape of the Profession – an explanation of the changes and advancements in the field that are affecting the healthcare industry and the role of MSPs.
- Core Functions of the Profession and Skillsets by Years of Experience – a compilation of the responsibilities and skills required of MSPs, including how roles and skills evolve over the course of an MSP’s career. Findings are based on a NAMSS 2014 Job Task Analysis, member surveys, focus groups, and interviews.
- Future of the Profession – an evaluation of the patterns and projections in the field for the next five years.
Fast Facts on the Medical Services Profession
This easy-to-read fact sheet summarizes the recently-released State of the Medical Services Profession Report and serves as a quick-reference guide when advocating for your career. Download the fact sheet and use the information when defining your role, requesting funding or support, and discussing the importance of your department with colleagues.
Now, more than ever, it’s time for MSPs to speak up about the important role they play in the delivery of quality healthcare. The State of the Medical Services Profession Toolkit, will help you get started!
Download the toolkit to find:
- Talking points to guide crucial conversations
- Sample communications tailored for different audiences
- Quick reference sheets including a fact sheet and FAQs
- Sharable graphics and social media posts to accompany them
- Five simple steps to becoming an advocate
- Additional resources to help you along the way
Medical Services Profession Job Descriptions
Members-Only (Log In to Access)
NAMSS has developed sample job descriptions based on level of experience that can easily be adapted to your facility. They apply to Entry Level, Mid-Level, Management Level, and Executive Level positions. These sample job descriptions are a Members-Only resource. To access the descriptions, below, log into the NAMSS website with your Member Login. Need your login reset? Contact the NAMSS Executive Office.