The Certified Professional Medical Services Management (CPMSM) is typically employed or contracted by a healthcare organization including, but not limited to, hospitals (health systems), health plans, ambulatory care settings, group practices, or credentialing verification organizations.
A CPMSM is an integral part of a credentialing team whose responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Maintaining compliance with regulatory and accrediting bodies;
- Developing and implementing credentialing/privileging processes and procedures;
- Developing and implementing provider enrollment processes and procedures;
- Overseeing development of and adherence to
- Governance bylaws;
- Department rules and regulations; and
- Policies pertaining to medical staff, practitioner/provider, and the organization
Certification by NAMSS puts you in the driver’s seat: It increases your potential for advancement in any healthcare environment and indicates to your supervisor(s) and accreditation surveyors that you are an expert in the field, both which enhance your value and job security. Here are some other reasons for medical services managers to seek certification by NAMSS:
- By achieving certification as a CPMSM, you gain respect from physicians and medical staff leaders and validate your experience in management of medical services.
- The knowledge necessary for certification as a CPMSM may require experience beyond your current healthcare environment. By increasing your breadth of knowledge beyond one particular healthcare environment, you increase your marketability, should you choose to seek new employment.
- Certificants with the CPMSM designation have proven their in-depth knowledge of medical staff bylaws, hospital procedures and standards, management processes and accreditation standards, policies and procedures, which will help them communicate better with physicians and all key stakeholders.
CPMSM Examination Eligibility Requirements
At the time of application, the candidate must be currently employed in the medical service profession for at least the past 12 consecutive months AND have a total of five years’ experience in the medical services profession within the past eight years.
The CCN does not develop, administer, sponsor, endorse, or financially benefit from any type of exam review, preparatory course or published materials related to the content of the certification examinations. The purchase and/or use of any exam preparation material does not guarantee a passing score on the exam.
CPMSM Practice Test
CPMSM Exam Content Outline