What is an Affiliate? Why Affiliate? Become an Affiliate Benefits for State Associations NAMSS Affiliate-Only Resources
What is an Affiliate?
Many, if not most, State Associations have determined to pursue a closer connection with NAMSS by becoming “Affiliates,” which fosters greater collaboration between the entities and also permits these State Associations to take advantage of the additional benefits noted below. However, even “Affiliate” status does not affect or change the underlying legal relationship described above.
Specifically, unless expressly agreed to in writing by both NAMSS and any particular State Association, neither entity is authorized to incur any liability, obligation, or expense on behalf of the other or to represent to any third party that the State Association is an agent of NAMSS or that NAMSS is an agent of the State Association.
Below is some basic information on what it means to become a state Affiliate:
Affiliation provides your State Association with access to the following benefits and services:
- Access to “State Resources” section of the NAMSS website.
- Ability to purchase discounted insurance through NAMSS. Coverages available include Directors & Officers Liability/Employment Practices Liability and General Liability.
- Access to an Annual Leadership Conference (open to all States in 2012; limited to Affiliates beginning 2013).
- Access to a separate State Leadership-maintained website area on the NAMSS site.
- Access to NAMSS’ database of state and local speakers, upon request.
- On an annual basis, access to the NAMSS’ member list within the geographic area represented by the State Association provided that the State Association provides its own membership list to NAMSS.
- Discounts on NAMSS continuing education credits for State Association meetings when the educational program meets approved requirements.
Become an Affiliate
To become a NAMSS Affiliate, State Associations must meet the following requirements:
- The President and President-Elect must be current members of NAMSS,
- The State Association bylaws should include the following statement “The [State Association] supports the mission and activities of the National Association Medical Staff Services”,
- The State Association will provide to NAMSS, on an annual basis, its membership list. NAMSS shall use this list for its own information and purposes, but shall not sell or provide the mailing list to any other party,
- The State Association bylaws must be sent to NAMSS upon affiliation and each time revisions are made to ensure the State and National bylaws are not in conflict.
If you are ready to affiliate with NAMSS, please complete the Affiliation Attestation Form
Benefits for State Associations
NAMSS will provide the following benefits and services to all State Associations regardless of affiliation:
- Access to NAMSS' materials for distribution at State Association meetings, including brochures and giveaways (as available).
- Access to a NAMSS liaison to the State Association to serve as a point of contact for the purpose of keeping State Leadership informed of NAMSS activities and to solicit input and feedback from State Leaders.
- As a service to State Associations, NAMSS offers a review of State Association bylaws to provide guidance and best practice. NAMSS does not have the authority to approve or enforce changes to state bylaws as the State Associations are separate entities. However, to take advantage of NAMSS State Affiliation, affiliate bylaws must include the following language "The [State Association] supports the mission and activities of the National Association Medical Staff Services". Upon affiliation, state bylaws must be sent to NAMSS to ensure inclusion of this language.
- Access to a separate State Leadership-maintained website area on the NAMSS site until January 1, 2013 for unaffiliated State Associations; ongoing for affiliated State Associations.
- When available, option to participate in the NAMSS Cooperative Membership Program.
- Access to a State Leaders’ discussion forum.
- Ability to apply for NAMSS continuing education credits for State Association meetings when the educational program meets approved requirements at the Non-Affiliate rate.
NAMSS Affiliate-Only Resources
NAMSS is very pleased to provide resources and assistance to State Associations, and to collaborate on all mutual objectives of the organizations.
NAMSS and each State Association are similar organizations with many common interests and goals, but they are separate legal entities. Their common interests and goals do not create any legally-binding association, joint venture, partnership, or agency relationship of any kind between them.
Please log in if you are a NAMSS’ Affiliate in order to access the following:
- Informative toolkits for Advocacy, Conference and Marketing/PR
- Application to purchase discounted insurance through NAMSS
NAMSS Affiliate-Only Resources
Thank you to those states that have affiliated with NAMSS:
Please review the following information regarding affiliation. Please contact NAMSS at (202) 367-1196 or by email at email@example.com if you have any questions regarding the following information, or if you need any further guidance on getting set up as a NAMSS affiliate.